Contrary to our previous statement. I'd like to assure everyone that we're not going to die on this trip. I hope this assurance doesn't take away from the entertainment.

Wednesday 25 April 2007

A little fairy tale to brighten your day

At about nine fifteen on Monday night I'm walking in the door after a bad day at the office, groceries in hand, preparing for the joys of yet another Newbury evening in front of the tv, when Oliver calls. Reluctantly, I answer the phone with an indistinguishable mumble. Oli's excited, again. We've all been here before, the enthusiasm, the optimism, it doesn't mean a thing. But, for a change, it's sounding plausible. "Toyota Starlet, one owner, £195, nice sounding bloke, interested in the Rally, MOT until August..."

He's got me interested, but I'm still sceptical (this is Oli), so I call Dean who's selling the potential steed on behalf of his auntie. Dean's been on the website and loves the sound of the event (later I discover this is jealousy) to the point that he's turning away bidders in order to sell this little gem to a life of freedom on the Mongolian plains.

Next thing I know it's Tuesday night and I'm walking out of Taunton station to see this dream machine. And, what a dream she is! Radiant, despite the overcast sky, and eager. It was the eagerness that excited me, here was a girl that wanted to go to Mongolia, maybe even more, she wanted to see the world. It was a bit uncomfortable with Dean there, we wanted to spend time alone, get to know one another, but instead we had to make do with whispered compliments and secretive flirting. But, I knew she was the one.

Anyway, back in the real world, Dean and I drove, we ate fish and chips, we talked. Turns out he knows some useful contacts, t-shirts, mechanics, it's all just too good. An hour later I paid him the money (which felt slightly wrong, I don't normally pay money for girls, but you have to understand that it was the price of her freedom), and the fairytale was complete.


So, ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you, Hyacinth!

Check out the eagerness...

...the power... ...and...
...what on earth was Dean thinking taking a photo of the keys in his hand?!
Dean will be taking his place in the Hall of Fame as a top rate hero, though he may choose to put photos of his girlfriend in his place, better looking!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As if Cooper has never paid for a girl... or at least attempted to...

Anonymous said...

The eagle has landed, or should i say, the wren? Hyacinth arrived at my door this morning dressed demurely in grey with not a hint of jewellery. However I know the lads will give her a good time, dress her up and take her places she never dreamt of.

Anonymous said...

And Hyacinth's auntie sent £50 to 'Just Giving'
What a lovely lady!